Highlander HGN-733 is a Assault-class 'Mech in Battletech.
Description[edit | edit source]
The Highlander 733 is one of the few Assault 'Mechs to carry Jump Jets. A mixture of medium and long range weaponry ensures that while the Highlander excels at no particular role, it is decent at all of them.
Loadouts[edit | edit source]
- The stock configuration carries too much missile ammunition. Removing a ton each of SRM and LRM ammo will leave you with 16 and 12 salvos respectively, more than enough for an extended mission.
- This frame has four missile hardpoints, so make use of them! Some of the better SRM units can outdamage medium lasers, for less heat.
- While intended for fighting at long range, the ability to jump makes the Highlander great for dancing around slow assault mechs in a melee. Fitting it with an AC20 instead of the AC10 can make it even more dangerous. For this purpose it would be wise to lose the medium lasers and add more SRMs in their place, since jumping around firing off your cannon will produce a lot of heat. Downgrading the LRM20 to an LRM15 (and possibly making do with less ammunition) can give you extra room.
- If you find the SRM to be dubiously useful, they can be removed for additional armor.
- As an alternative build for the decadently rich, the Highlander can also serve as a top notch Missile Boat, able to mount no less than 3 LRM-20s with plentiful ammunition as well as near maximum armor.
- Note: 4 x LRM15 + 1 Heat Sink weighs less than 3 x LRM20, and would have less net generated heat, for the same number of Missiles fired. Although, finding 4 LRM15+/++/+++ may be harder than finding 3 LRM20+/++/+++. Mileage may vary depending on luck with salvage or shops.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
- The Highlander 733 is one of the few jump-capable assault 'Mechs. A mixture of medium- and long-range weaponry ensures that while the Highlander excels at no particular role, it is decent at all of them.
- The Highlander is famous in-universe for the "Highlander Burial", which involves pilots jumping their ninety-ton mech onto the enemy and actually driving lighter mechs down into the earth with their sheer mass. Performing this move at least once will earn you an Achievement, but it can also be a full-on build; get the best DFA self-damage reduction parts you can find and build your Highlander for close quarters fighting, so that anything that somehow survives getting jumped on is now point blank for your weapons.