Highlander HGN-732B is an Assault-class 'Mech in Battletech. It's a rare variant used by the Star League Defense Force's Royal Divisions. Its most noticeable difference compared with the normal Highlander is the Lostech Gauss Cannon in its right arm. One of these, which was found and retrieved from Outpost Castle Nautilus, is obtained for free after "Raising the Dead", as a gift from Kamea.
The Highlander 732B is an ancient model from the Star League days! Its Gauss Rifle was a terrifying weapon that gave it a huge punch at almost any range but you can't find those anymore. And of course, it still has the jump capability it's always been known for. The default heat sinking capability for the HGN-732B is 60 heat, an extra 30 heat compared to others.
- The Royal Highlander has 5 additional free tons over the 'normal' version, giving it a payload comparable to an Atlas.
- Take advantage of that wonderful double heat sink engine! If you aren't dissipating an average of 60+ heat a turn, you're losing out. For all its general fearsomeness Highlander is rather slow, so unless you're charging down a lance of equally-slow assaults your refits should make it capable of fighting and winning at a distance.
- Alternatively, the jump jets really help this mech get the better of enemies at close range.
- If you don't want to risk your valuable Gauss Rifle, the SRM can be replaced with an LRM-5, useful for triggering knockdowns without risking CT destruction or when using multi-shot. The remaining mass can go into armor.
- With excellent jump capability, impossible tonnage capacity, and 2 ballistic slots, this mech can be made into the definitive "Hammer of God". Mount 2 AC20's in the right arm with 3 to 4 tons of ammo and fill the missile slots with SRM 6's with 2 tons ammo. This mech can jump into (or on top of) the enemy, summarily execute 70% of the mechs in game, and finish everything else with a second salvo. Jump behind the big baddies and unload a full load of BLAM to blow CT out of anything smaller than an Atlas or King Crab. This mech can easily be your primary CQC mech through endgame.
- 600+ damage medium to close range assault - 1 x SNUB PPC, 2 x ER M Laser, 3 x ER S Laser, 2 x SRM6, 1 x UAC/20, 2 x Exchanger++ (-20% heat), 6 x Heat Sink [D]. Precision Strike the center torso will destroy targets in cover and are guarded.
- You procure the 732B during/after Escape, as part of a stash of Star League relics. As per the trope, this museum piece is actually extremely deadly.
- Final Punch Tactic: a good tactic is to use the HGN-732B initially hidden behind terrain, sending LRM shots to the target until it gets close enough to where the Highlander can jump into position for an Alpha-Strike and finish them off. Use a high mobility or scout mech (like a Grasshopper or a Jenner) to to sensor lock and lure the intended target toward the Highlander. Meanwhile, also use a missile boat like a Centurion in hiding with 3 LRM's firing each round to soften the target up until it gets into the killzone for the Highlander to give the "Final Punch"