The Bullshark BSK-M3 is a 95-ton assault 'Mech. It could first be encountered after the completion of the second part of the Dobrev flashpoint, in which the commander was given the BSK-MAZ variant of the mech by The Bounty Hunter. From thereon, the mech can be encountered as enemies in missions or bought from the store.
This is something brand-new to me, Commander. I don't know where this 'Mech came from, but it's a serious force to be reckoned with because of its heavy weaponry and nearly impenetrable armor. Quite a find!
The Bullshark has between 52.81 to 75.5 free tonnage available depending on armor configuration. Sporting 4 ballistic, 4 laser, and 4 missile hardpoints combined with 3 jump jets, the Bullshark M3 is an versatile mech that can be built to a wide variety of purposes.
- As a missile boat, the Bullshark can cram four LRM20 launchers to its torso hardpoints, but that leaves scant room for supporting upgrades like heat banks and TTS, unless you want to mount them on your comparatively fragile arms.
- Mounting 4 PPCs and making it a laser boat is also possible with the Bullshark, but again since the laser hardpoints are located on the torso you might not have much room left for supporting upgrades like heat management devices or TTS. The damage output might also be fairly low for an assault mech, but at least it can operate without ammunition.
- It is apparent that the Bullshark is meant to be used as a primarily ballistic platform, as the ballistics hardpoints are evenly distributed at the mechs' arms out of the way from torso slots better used as upgrades. This can be utilized for a wide variety of loadouts, owing to the mech's ample tonnage. Four AC2s can turn it into a well-armored sniper, and subsequent higher calibers improve the damage at the cost of effective range. LBX autocannons turns a Bullshark into a devastating close-range combatant, able to deal grievous damage to multiple parts of the opposing mech with a single salvo.
With its versatility, the Bullshark can occupy a wide variety of combat roles in a Lance, from missile boat to close-range brawler depending on the weapon and armor configuration of the mech. However, as it is not equipped with Support hardpoints, it may not perform as well as more specialized machines in a melee role.
- In a close- to medium-range combat role, the Bullshark is a devastating machine that can both soak up and dish out enormous amounts of damage. Maxing out a Bullshark's armor leaves you about 53 tons of free tonnage, ample enough for large-caliber autocannons supported by up to four Medium Lasers and two SRM6 launchers. Its slow speed is offset by its thick armor, yet try not to be overconfident and utilize covers and topography to reduce incoming damage. Cockpit mods and gyroscope upgrades also help your pilot stay safe in battle.
- However, with four ballistics hardpoints and enough tonnage to bring serious ballistic firepower, the Bullshark shows its true worth as a long-range combat platform. Two Gauss rifles combined with two LRM20 launchers allows the Bullshark to hurt almost any opposition from afar, be it with direct or indirect fire; care must be shown in picking targets however, since LRMs are notoriously flippant with ammo. As this loadout of the 'Mech would be fighting enemies from behind frontline units, this configuration can afford to go relatively light-armored; gyroscope upgrades may alleviate this somewhat, but it is always wise to try and not get shot at all in this sort of configuration. Jump jets can help it offset its slowness, especially in urban maps.